
Four Bangladeshi workers accused of planning to join the Islamic State group were jailed for between two and five years in Singapore on Tuesday for raising money to fund attacks in their homeland.
Muslim-majority Bangladesh has seen a spate of brutal attacks on secular bloggers and religious minorities recently, with gunmen killing 20 hostages — mainly foreigners — at an upmarket restaurant in the capital Dhaka earlier this month in an attack claimed by IS.
District Judge Kessler Soh said in handing down the sentences that terrorism presents a "threat not just to our community but the international community at large".
Court documents said the men contributed, collected or possessed funds for the alleged plot ranging from SG$60 ($44) to SG$1,360 to help fund a terror campaign in their country.